The Davis Curse

Researching my Davis ancestry has been full of brick walls. The Davis surname is quite common, which can always make research difficult. The Davises haven't, to my knowledge, been rich, powerful, criminals, or officeholders, so no books have been written about them. If there are family pictures, documents, or bibles, I don't have them and don't know who does.


Samuel Davis, my 3X great-grandfather, is the first Davis ancestor in my family tree. According to census records, he was born around 1782 in Ireland. I don't know who his parents were. I don't know how or when he arrived in the United States. He settled in Brown County, Ohio, but not early enough to be mentioned in any of the Brown County histories. He and his wife (I'm not 100% sure who she was) had a family. I know their names, but not much more. I'm not even sure when Samuel died.


Isaac Davis, my 2X great-grandfather, was born around 1827 in Ohio, possibly in South Lebanon in Warren County, but I have no documentation of this. He married Lavinna Patton in Brown County on 10/24/1849. Lavinna was born in January 1823 in Ohio. I'm not sure when either Isaac or Lavinna died either.


Things pick up in the next generation, though, despite the fact that my great-grandfather's name was James (how many James Davises have trod the earth?). I have a couple of pictures (James and Rosa Ogden Davis' picture is below), more detailed census records, a death certificate, and some of my dad's memories.


I have neglected my Davis research for the last few years. It is always easier to research branches when you are actually finding information. I will have to use my creativity and best research and investigative skills to track down my Davis ancestors.

James Ulysses Davis and Rosa Ogden Davis

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Many Loves of James Quincy Davis

A River View

Who Is Lucy Herr and Why Is She Living with My Great-Grandfather?